The Queen has responded to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decided to basically quit the Royal Family.
The news broke last night the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were to step down as ‘senior members’ of the monarchy.
And it caused an absolute uproar among royalists.
“The Queen is devastated by the decision, although she had been aware of their struggle the last few months and has been concerned for their well-being and happiness,” a royal source told ET.
“Many family members were very disappointed with the Sussexes,” the source added, noting that some members of the royal family have called the move “selfish.”
Royal expert Katie Nicholl spoke to ET on Wednesday about the shocking decision.
“Senior members of the royal family, and, yes, I do mean the Queen, were not aware that this statement was coming tonight,” Nicholl told ET. “I think at the Palace the mood is one of deep disappointment, and I don’t think it’s too far to go as to say devastation. Harry is absolutely beloved — not just by the British public and around the world, the Queen adores Harry!
“And, you know, they were in the early stage of discussions, but the feeling is that Harry and Meghan have gone ahead and issued this statement without full cooperation, without her full blessing and approval.”
The full statement released by the Sussexes read: “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.
“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.”