fbpx

Teens Drop Everything To Help ‘Frozen’ Squirrel, Saving His Life

In downtown St. Andrews in New Brunswick, Canada, two teenagers were hanging out when they noticed a crowd of people standing around a car.

Going over to investigate they were told there was a squirrel underneath the car was desperately in need of help. The teens were shocked to realize that he looked absolutely nothing like a squirrel.

The poor squirrel had become covered in foam insulation, the kind used to patch up holes in the home.

He must have accidentally ran through the material while it was wet — and once it dried all over him, the poor little guy could barely move.

Jaydon Pettipas and Aidan Hart, the two teens, immediately felt they needed to help the little guy and knew he wasn’t going to survive unless someone helped him immediately.

They ran inside a grocery store and got a milk crate they could put the squirrel in.

Dr. Melanie Eagan, owner of the St. George Veterinary Clinic said:

“After calling a few people for help, one of the boys’ moms finally called me at the vet clinic”

After talking to Eagan on the phone, the group drove over 21 miles to the St. George Veterinary Clinic to drop off the squirrel, hoping that Eagan could somehow save his life.

When the poor animal arrived, Eagan could barely believe her eyes.

Eagan explained:

“He could hardly move and, really, I’m amazed he was still alive — the foam was blocking off most of his mouth and nostrils”

“He could move his back legs just a bit, but the rest of his body was literally cemented into place.”

After quickly sedating the squirrel, and then, using rubbing alcohol and a flea comb, set about the long process of getting all of the foam insulation off the squirrel’s tiny body, and was amazed when all of her efforts actually worked.

Eagan revealed:

“It took about an hour”

“There were some patches of fur gone and some abrasions on his skin, but in the end he didn’t look too bad!”

Eagan was shocked that she was able to help him pull through.

The squirrel, who was exhausted, snuggled up and went to sleep for a few hours.

When he was finally awake and clearly feeling so much better, Eagan was able to release him back into the wild.

Eagan said:

“He was pretty excited to get out of the clinic and up a tree”

“If it hadn’t been for those teenage boys, he would not have lived.”

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More