fbpx

Lewis The Koala Who Was Saved From Raging Bushfires By Grandma Dies

A helpless koala dubbed “Lewis” captured the hearts of the nation when a clip went viral of a kindhearted grandma rescuing him from the relentless bushfires in Australia.

People across the globe had been following his recovery closely, but devastatingly, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, a specialist facility where he was taken to be treated, has annouced that Lewis has passed away.

Credit: FOX

The hospital broke the news on Facebook.

“Today we made the decision to put Ellenborough Lewis to sleep.

“We placed him under general anesthesia this morning to assess his burns injuries and change the bandages. We recently posted that “burns injuries can get worse before they get better”. In Ellenborough Lewis’s case, the burns did get worse, and unfortunately would not have gotten better.”

Credit: CNN

The hospital stressed that the animal’s welfare is their top priority and that they don’t simply keep them alive just to save them – if they are in significant pain and discomfort they’ll aways but their welfare first.

“The Koala Hospital’s number one goal is animal welfare, so it was on those grounds that this decision was made. We thank you for your ongoing support.”

The hospital was treating Lewis for burns to his hands, feet, arms, and the inside of his legs – providing around the clock care for his devasting injuries.

Credit: Twitter

The lady who rescued him, known only as Toni, used her clothes to wrap up the scorched koala that was just minutes away from death in the flame engulfed tree he was trapped in. Soon after rescuing Lewis, she visited him in the hospital where staff branded her a “legend.”

Currently, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital is treating more than 30 koalas for burns and other injuries related to the fires, though staff say that tragically, not all will survive.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More